Junior Research Fellowship
Call for applications: micro, small and medium enterprise development research and The Asia Factor
The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) is committed to fostering the next generation of Asia Pacific researchers and practitioners. To this end, it is offering a four-month Junior Research Fellowship for applicants interested in learning more about (1) Canada's engagement with Asia in terms of micro, small and medium enterprise development and (2) provincial level engagement with Asia. Applicants should be Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are currently enrolled in an upper level undergraduate or masters-level program, or who have completed their degree programs within the previous 12 months. The successful applicant will be notified in early August.
The Fellow will work at the APF Canada's Vancouver office and will complete work related to the APF Canada's current research topics, including micro, small and medium enterprise development in Asia and our project "The Asia Factor (www.theasiafactor.ca), which focuses on provincial level relations with Asian economies.
Successful applicants will have the following qualifications:
• Excellent quantitative and qualitative research skills;
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
• Experience in research related to micro, small and medium enterprise development in Asia;
• Demonstrated interest in contemporary Canada-Asia relations, including policy and trade issues; and
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (including strong MS Excel skills) and social media.
Benefits to the Fellow
The Fellow will work under the mentorship of one or more of the APF Canada's project directors, and will engage in three types of activities:
• Working with one of APF Canada's project director in conducting research important to Canada's micro, small and medium enterprise APEC agenda;
• Working with one of APF Canada's program managers in conducting research related to The Asia Factor; and
• Working under the guidance of one of the APF Canada's team members to produce analytical commentaries (600 – 800 words) on topics chosen by the applicant in consultation with APF Canada staff.
Applicants should be Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are enrolled in an upper-level undergraduate or master's-level program. Recent graduates may also apply.
The applicant's degree does not have to be based in Canada.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to work out of the APF Canada's head office in downtown Vancouver during regular office hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm); and, will be responsible for producing:
1. One analytic commentary on the status of micro, small and medium enterprises in four different Asia Pacific countries (four in total);
2. Assignments related to the collection and summarizing of data related to provincial level relations with Asia;
3. One analytical commentary on a mutually decided upon topic related to provincial or local-level Canada-Asia engagement.
The Junior Research Fellowship grant will be for C$7,400. The grant will be paid in 2 equal installments of C$3,700: the first installment will be paid upon signing the contract, the second, upon successful completion of deliverables.
The successful applicant should be able to complete the fellowship for four months, from August 15th to December 15, 2016.
Applications should include the following:
• Résumé detailing the applicant's academic background (degree, major(s), awards, etc.), research skills, software/computer skills and professional experience;
• 1-page cover letter detailing the applicant's research interests, career interests and goals, how they hope to benefit from the fellowship, and why they are interested in working in the thematic area specified in the call for applications;
• A short writing sample (no more than 5 pages double-spaced in English);
• Copy of applicant's university transcript (scanned or electronic copies are acceptable);
• Name, title and contact information (email and phone number) for one academic or professional reference. References will be contacted only if the applicant is short-listed for the fellowship.
Applications should be submitted by email to Serena Ko at firstname.lastname@example.org, and should reference "Junior Research Fellowship: SME" in the subject line.
Applications are accepted in English and French. The deadline to submit an application is August 1st, 2016 at 11:59pm (PDT).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.