Join our team of passionate and innovative people
The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) is looking for a Program Manager, Digital Asia to lead the research and activities for its Digital Asia Pillar, which explores how technologies of the Fourth Industrial Revolution impact Canada's current and future engagement with the Asia Pacific. This position is for a one-year full-time, fixed-term contract with a possibility of extension.
The position reports to the Vice-President, Research, and works closely with other members of the research team. The position is based in Vancouver, B.C. The Program Manager Digital Asia will:
- Develop and maintain the direction and research focus of the Digital Asia pillar;
- Conduct original research to contribute to a better understanding of how technologies of the Fourth Industrial Revolution affect Canada's current and future engagement with the Asia Pacific;
- Manage research and policy work related to this pillar and ensure the frequent publication of Dispatches, Case Studies, Policy Briefs, and/or Research Reports;
- Manage JRS and PGRS working under this pillar;
- Develop and manage budgets, reporting, and action planning for the pillar;
- Prepare analytical reports and briefing materials in support of the VP Research and CEO's external engagement;
- Fostering funding and research partnerships to support pillar activities;
- Coordinates and facilitates meetings, consultations, and partnership events in collaboration with the Events team;
- Actively contribute to the delivery of the twice-weekly Asia Watch newsletter;
- Help with other duties as required to meet the needs of the role in relation to organizational goals.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current affairs, research, and related briefing/reporting of issues related to digital technologies and to Asia Pacific‑Canada relations;
- Familiarity with policy research and/or policymaking;
- Strong project management, interpersonal, intercultural and networking, presentation and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure and with short deadlines;
- Ability to work independently on specific files and master new topics quickly;
- Interest in advancing an informed understanding of Canada-Asia relations;
- Ability to negotiate challenging diplomatic environments;
- Working proficiency in at least one Asian language (asset).
Desired Education and Experience:
- An MA or Ph.D. degree, in related fields such as economics, political science, or international relations;
- 3-to-5 years’ previous work experience in government, think tanks, non-profit organizations, or track-two organizations;
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of digital technology;
- Project management experience;
- Previous work experience liaising with and preparing reports required by Canadian government agencies (asset);
- Experience studying or working in Asia (asset).
Applications are accepted in English and/or French. Please click here to send your applications. Applications should include the following documents in one merged pdf file.
Cover letter and Résumé detailing the applicant’s academic background, skills, professional experiences, and motivation to join the research team as Program Manager for APFC’s Digital Asia pillar;
- A one-page research statement detailing what the applicant would suggest as a multi-year research plan for the Digital Asia Pillar;
- A writing sample (published or unpublished);
- Name, title, and contact information (email and phone number) for two academic or professional references.
References will be contacted only if the applicant is short-listed for the position.
Applications are accepted in English and French. The deadline to submit an application is Sunday, March 14, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. (PDT).
Candidates with the desired education and experience are encouraged to apply. APF Canada is committed to employment equity practices and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates with the legal right to work in Canada. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are considered on a rolling basis so please submit your application once it is prepared.
Are you a creative and energetic new media specialist? Do you welcome the challenge of building interest and engagement in a leading Canadian think-tank and its world-changing projects?
The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada is looking for a Communications & Social Media Specialist to drive social media outreach and build awareness for APF Canada’s branded social media channels and other strategic communications, and to support the APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership.
An excellent English-language writer and social media communicator with strong graphic design skills, the successful candidate will also create written and visual content for APF Canada’s website, social media platforms, and other communications channels.
The objective of the ongoing APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership is to build the potential of micro, small, and medium enterprises and entrepreneurs in developing Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) economies to foster sustainable economic growth and poverty reduction. The project supports gender equality and youth activation in the APEC region, and is an initiative of APF Canada and funded by the Government of Canada.
This position reports to APF Canada’s Communications Manager and the APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership Program Manager.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Grow APF Canada’s and the APEC-Canada Growing Business Partnership’s online audiences and user engagement on all social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Instagram)
- Work with the Program Manager and the Communications Manager to produce strategic social media campaigns that support a wide variety of projects and programming
- Monitor, moderate, and respond to day-to-day comments and/or questions on social media channels and platforms
- Stay up to date on and utilize emerging social media technologies and features
- Provide reporting on media, website, and social media analytics on a weekly and monthly basis, and for reporting documents to the Government of Canada
- Create compelling visual content (i.e. graphics, infographics, interactive video shorts, etc.) for APF Canada’s online and social media platforms, and online toolkits for entrepreneurs and MSMEs
- Propose new ideas and concepts for enhanced social media and website graphic content
- Participate in web design meetings and processes and ensure esthetic complementarity between APF Canada’s website and social media platforms
- Assist in the logistical planning and communication strategies for virtual events, webinars, and conferences
- Support the online publication and promotion of APF Canada editorial content, including reports, policy briefs, dispatches, case studies, new media, and our Asia Watch newsletter
Desired skills and abilities
- University or technical institute degree or advanced diploma in communications, graphic design, new/digital media, or a related field
- 2+ years experience working on business social channels and engaging with audiences online
- Must be fluent in English with exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Expert knowledge of popular social media platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram LinkedIn, and WeChat, as well as other dashboards and platforms like Hootsuite, Survey Monkey, and Mail Chimp
- Experience in editing content for proper grammar, spelling, syntax, and making constructive editorial suggestions
- Proficient with media monitoring, Google Analytics, and social media analytics
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Proficient with video and audio editing for web and social media
- Independent, organized, and a good team player with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Creative personality with an eagerness to learn
- Professional, tactful, and mindful of tonality for different audiences and stakeholders
- Familiarity with content management systems, preferably Drupal is an asset
- Demonstrated interest in politics, economics, and international development is an asset
If you are interested in this position and have the required education, experience, and eligibility to work in Canada, please submit the following in one PDF file:
- A letter of interest together with your updated CV
- Relevant work in communications and social media that you would like to share with us
Please click here to apply
Application Deadline is Sunday, March 14, 2021.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you.