Kakehashi participants from Canada, the US and Japan are invited to an exclusive glimpse into one of Japan’s most fascinating and unique traditional festivals—Toyama Prefecture’s Owara Kaze no Bon. With almost 400 years of history, the Owara draws more than 200,000 people to the town of Yatsuo every September who come to enjoy a unique musical and dance experience unavailable anywhere else in Japan.
The event is in English with live interpretation and subtitles, and will include:
- Presentations on the festival’s background, music, costumes, and dances
- An interactive dance workshop
- Live music and dance performances
- Q&A, networking, and group discussion
- Remarks from Deputy Head of Mission & Minister Furuya Tokuro, Embassy of Japan to Canada, and Mr. Fujii Hirohisa, Mayor of Toyama City, Japan